Winter in Minnesota can turn the Twin Cities into a winter wonderland. But driving on snow and ice can pose serious risks if you’re not prepared. That’s why one of the most important steps you can take is assessing your vehicle’s safety before you set out on the road this holiday season.
Whether you’re commuting an hour to work or driving through Minneapolis in five ‘o clock traffic, take every possible precaution to keep your car operating safely first. At Suburban Auto Body, our certified Twin Cities repair technicians understand the importance of making sure your car is safe to drive better than anyone. In this blog entry, we’ll share a vehicle safety checklist to make sure your car is safe this winter.
Dangers of Winter Driving
Even if you don’t mind a little snow on the road, wintertime driving can be dangerous for Twin Cities Residents. This is especially true when blizzard conditions take hold of the region. Your best line of defense is to stay off of the road in dangerous conditions.
Unfortunately, sometimes getting caught out on the road in the snow, ice, or freezing rain is unavoidable. These safety tips will help you get through the snow and ice as safely as possible.
1. Replace water in your vehicle with antifreeze.
2. Use a windshield washer solution specifically rated for use during winter weather. You may also want to change out your wiper blades for something a little stronger to cut through the ice.
3. Keep an extra ice scraper on hand. The last thing you need is to be caught out and about without one.
4. Replace your tires if they’re in need of replacement.
5. If you drive a four-wheel-drive vehicle, change your tires to winter tires.
6. Check or replace your battery. The cold can negatively impact the performance of your vehicle’s battery.
7. Change your oil to a less viscous option.
8. Keep a winter safety kit in your vehicle. Make sure to stock at least one thermal blanket, flashlights, a first aid kit, non-perishable food items, water bottles, and flares.
9. Keep your phone charged at all times.
Winterize Your Vehicle With Suburban Auto Body
Even the most careful and experienced winter drivers should plan ahead for worst-case scenarios when snow and ice take over. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and nowhere is this truer than with your vehicle.
When our Suburban Auto Body collision repair team assesses your car’s safety, winterize your car, and make any needed repairs, you’re a safer driver on the winter streets. For added convenience, try our Suburban EZ program. Connect with our advanced collision repair team by calling at 651.633.8900, or contact us to get a free estimate.